Saturday, February 5, 2011

Drug Stores, Are they worth the trouble?

Lately, I have been asked if it is worth my time to scour the drug store ads to look for the best deals on medicines, paper products, household cleaners, etc.  In the past, I have always been a big fan of the CVS extra care program.  I used to feel like I was saving a ton of money on the household things I needed.  Now, that I have a a good bit of medicines, etc on my shelf, is it really worth it?

I would have to say a resounding YES! Any time you save money, your saving money, right?  Just like any other retail store, everything eventually goes on sale.  At least twice a year the drug stores will have big sales on medications, and the manufacturers will lots of coupons for those medicines.  I don't know about you, but there is nothing worse than having a child with a 101 fever and realizing you have no childrens ibuprofen in the house.  I like to go through my medications twice a year, throw out expired items and replace with the things we use on a normal basis.

One secret I have learned to drug stores is, go in after each season to find FANTASTIC deals on seasonal merchandise. I cannot tell you all the great buys I have found after Christmas and Summer.  They mark merchandise down so cheap, you can get things literally for pennies!  You might have to search and visit the store often, but you'd be surprised by what you can find and how cheaply you can get it!  One other tip, befriend the employees!  They will help you find great deals, and tell you when specific items will be marked down.

Do you buy Pepsi or Coke products? In my house, we love Diet Coke.  CVS, Walgreen's and Rite Aid all put these products on great sales from time to time.  Last week I was able to purchase 5 12-packs of Diet Coke for only $2/12-pack.  The cheapest I have found it in months!

For more info and ideas check out the following websites:

www.iheartcvs.com
www.iheartwags.com

Look for future blog posts on how save money using the Extra Care program at CVS!

Happy Shopping! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment